Monday, December 17, 2012

BE HERE NOW: When You Are Afraid - A message intended to focus on fears and God's presence

We have all had moments where we were really afraid. Sometimes it is over an "artificial" or created fear, like watching a scary movie. We logically know nothing on the screen is going to affect us but we are caught up on the moment. Then, there are the "noises" or "shadows" we see in our house that may cause some fear. Then, there is news that may come in the form of a doctor telling us we have terminal cancer (or having a relative find that news out). Then, there is having a phone call telling us that our mom, dad, son, daughter, or someone else close to us has died. Then, there is being involved in a death-is-likely situation, like being held with a knife to our throat or gun to our head. Though the severity is worse with each one, the fear also may increase.

I can only imagine myself in some of the latter situations and how I would react. My fear would be "through the roof" in some situations. Fear is real and every person handles it a bit differently. However, one thing is for sure, that God is there for us in the middle of our fears! It takes a lot of maturity in some of the more severe areas of fear to really find comfort in Him; but the opportunity is always present.

Sunday, we looked at Psalm 23 where David mentioned the idea of fear. It was also coincidentally an opportunity to talk about the recent shooting in Newtown, Connecticut at Sandy Hook Elementary. Here are some applications to choose from use this week...

  • Real Fears ~ There are some fears that are identified which I must say make me laugh. I think "How could they be fearful of that?" However, to those people, those are real fears. I know that even the small amount of fears I have, I CAN overcome them. For instance, I don't like the "drop" feeling of a roller coaster or other free fall rides. However, I know I would be able to live through them if I chose to make that decision. I don't love snakes but if I know they are there, I'm fine (but nervous). What makes us fearful of things is a mystery. One good thing is to identify them and understand them, then when confronted, talk to God about being comforted in the midst of your fears. Also, even when we don't understand others' fears, we can still be compassionate toward them.
  • Valley of the Shadow of Death ~ This is a great wording to conjugate a scary scene. Valleys are low - so you may have no way out. Shadows are dark - darkness generally makes us a bit apprehensive and uncomfortable. Death is avoided - we don't want to experience that any time soon. When we experience those dark times in our life, which we all will (in one form or another) may we be ready to turn to Him to help lead us through and comfort us in our journey.
  • Fear No Evil ~ Romans 8:31 comes to mind here..."If God is for us, who can be against us?" I would like to think that if I was experiencing a life and death situation, I would have my fears relieved a bit by knowing I have done what I needed to do to have heaven as my home. My fears would likely be centered around leaving my family and their loss in a husband and father, more so than my life, itself. May we rest assured that nothing evil is going to be able to affect us in a spiritually negative way, in these situations. Stay with God and He will be there for us!
  • You are With Me ~ The shepherd was the "best friend" to the sheep. They listened to his voice and followed him everywhere. They trusted him like no one else. Whether they encountered good pastures or threat of wolves, they learned to trust him. As we think about our Shepherd, may we learn to trust in Him like the sheep do to their shepherd. May we rest assured that He's always near with me. May we find comfort in our victories, defeats, times of hurt, fear, and apprehension. God is good! Read John 10 for more on Jesus as our Shepherd.
I cannot imagine, having two young children, what it must be like for those who lost the loved ones at Sandy Creek Elementary to not know that was their last time to see them alive. To know they will never enter their classroom again. To know they will not open any Christmas presents this year. To know they will never sleep in their bed/room. To know they will never experience another birthday. To know they will never be able to hug them or receive a hug from them. To think "If I knew today was going to be the last day I had with them, I would have done/said [this]!"

It doesn't have to be in tragedies that we have those thoughts. May we appreciate everyday that we have together with those we care about because we never know what will happen.

If you experience the loss or the dark journey, may we find solace in the fact that God is constant and is here for us constantly!

After the next sentence, you will find a list of those who were killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting (in Newtown, Connecticut). Other sites have released pictures, but here are names. Pray for all those involved. Rest in peace, Sandy Hook victims!

Now it's your turn...when have you had a fear that seemed almost impossible to see God in the middle of that time of fear?


Children:

    Charlotte Bacon, 6 Daniel Barden, 7 Olivia Engel, 6 Josephine Gay, 7 Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6 Dylan Hockley, 6 Madeleine F. Hsu, 6 Catherine V. Hubbard, 6 Chase Kowalski, 7 Jesse Lewis, 6 James Mattioli, 6 Grace McDonnell, 7 Emilie Parker, 6 Jack Pinto, 6 Noah Pozner, 6 Caroline Previdi, 6 Jessica Rekos, 6 Aviele Richman, 6 Benjamin Wheeler, 6 Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Adults:

    Dawn Hochsprung, 47 Rachel Davino, 29 Anne Marie Murphy, 52 Lauren Rousseau, 30 Mary Sherlach, 56 Victoria Soto, 27

No comments: