Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Great Time of Year to Be a Friend

Friends are truly priceless. To gain a friend takes some time. Those we may think are "friends" may not turn out to be the ones we can really trust and confide in as time continues. Acquaintances are not always friends. People we spend time around most are not always friends. Sometimes it seems as if I can count on two hands those who I would consider in this category. Those who would not be judgmental by an action I performed or offended by something I said. They would know me well enough to understand why I did or said the things I did.

One cliche my parents (probably my mom) always said was something like "You have to be a friend to have a friend." This time of year is a great time to experience that, whether it is to people you know or those you don't. That brings us to this week's quote...

Your friendship is a glowing ember
Through the year; and each December
From its warm and living spark
We kindle flame against the dark
And with its shining radiance light
Our tree of faith on Christmas night. ~ Thelma J. Lund

This time of year has a lot of opportunities to be a friend (or even a nice person) to people you are around. With all the shopping that is happening the "hustle and bustle" that takes place, why be the calm one? Why not wish others a "Merry Christmas" when they say "Have a good day" or "Thank you for shopping at ___."

Now it's your turn...how will you be a friend to someone this holiday season?

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

I plan to be a friend by spending extra time alone with my Best Friend, Jesus. From this encounter, I'm so filled with His calm center that it becomes my own. Through me, others sense His peace.