Monday, January 14, 2013

AWAKENING: Delighting in the Word - A message prompting us to draw closer to God through the Word

"Create in me a clean heart, O God" (Psalm 51:10), "Rejoice in the Lord, always" (Philippians 4:4), "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24), and "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord" (Psalm 150) are all verses that came to mind which bring me closer to Him. These are all fitting at various times in my life but they all are helpful. They connect me closer to Him in some way, shape, or form, and I love that about the Word of God.

It amazes me how the Word of God can be considered irrelevant by many and relevant by many others. I can relate to both sides, as I have gone through stages in my life where I thought there was many places which the Bible was kind of a waste. It wasn't until I saw the greatness of it in my life and relevance in the lives of mankind in which I was able to deeply appreciate what it had to say. I am not only talking about the "favorite" or more "popular" verses but those verses which have hidden gems inside of them.

Sunday, we looked at how we can be brought closer to Him by being able to "delight in the Word." Looking at the Word and reading it can be a time of worship in which we can become in awe and connect with our Creator. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week...

  • Aiming for the Top ~ Looking for something to live up to seems to be something we all start out desiring. In that, it is very helpful to have something that is worth living up to. Something that is perfect, like the Word of God, is a great example of how to aspire to be something great. If it is something mediocre, then we don't have very high to aim! Let's aim high and allow His Word to take us there!
  • Generating Wisdom ~ I've known people that seem to have a wealth of knowledge, both about their area of expertise and about trivial knowledge. There is something special about how the Bible will create a new skill level inside of us. We will have a new sense of knowledge after understanding the Bible (or even certain texts) better. As you take the Bible in its little segments and apply it to your life, may it be something that takes on a new meaning to your life.
  • Bringing About Joy ~ When my kids are pouting and I know that they are not hurt, I will often try to lighten mood by doing something that makes them smile or laugh. It takes their mind off of their problems or pity party for a few minutes to get them to be more joyful. I am in awe of God when He puts before me a verse, person, or situation that brings joy to my life. This causes me to take my mind off of my issue and focus on Him. I am awakened to the greatness of Him.
What are your favorite verses, that bring you joy and closer to Him? What are some of your favorite songs that point you to Him?

We all have various ways and desires that will cause us to be awakened to the concept of worshiping Him. We are all created a bit differently, so we will be attracted to Him differently. Our challenge is simply to delight in the Word and enjoy what it brings to our life!

Now its your turn...what allows you to "delight in the Word?"

No comments: