Thursday, January 10, 2013

Keeping a Calm Center

I have seen many-a-people in my day "blow up" over various things. Sometimes it is a coach towards a player or official, sometimes it is a person in a meeting, sometimes it is in a marriage conflict, sometimes it is parent to a child and there are various other situations. For one reason or another the conversation went "south" causing one party to lose their cool.

I cannot say that I am innocent in never losing my "cool" and I've tried to learn from those mistakes to become much more calm, even when I feel stepped on or wrongly accused. It is a discipline and can be tough at times. However, the end is usually beneficial to the one who does not choose to "blow up." With that said, here is this week's quote...

The cyclone derives its powers from a calm center. So does a person. ~ Norman Vincent Peale
When I was in college, there was a roommate discrepancy. What it boiled down to was "truth wins." One roommate was trying to have one story be the right story until he was confronted with the "truth." Upon having the truth put forth, in a calm way, he had no leg to stand on. He had no other choice other than to surrender to the idea he was in the wrong.

All this came about with a calm center. There was much power in that center, similar to how Peale points out the cyclone also has its power. As you go through life, no matter what is happening, try to remember to keep calm and think about how you will respond. Keep that calm center to bring about much power. Even if the power may not win the argument, it will definitely show that there is power in you that is respectable.

Now it's your turn...when have you seen this become true? Whether there wasn't a calm center and had a lack of power or there was a calm center and much power.

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

Great post, Jarrod. I was in a conflict with a coworker. She made crazy accusations and was constantly in a state of agitation. I determined to walk in the opposite spirit.

Early each morning, I prayed over the area where we worked. I kept my mind fixed on the calm center of Christ. I encouraged her.

She apologized and became more pleasant & respectful. If it were up to me, I probably would have returned her anger. But the calm center of Christ in me provided a steady presence that put us on an even keel.