Monday, January 7, 2013

AWAKENING: Invitation to Sing - A message that encouraged people to connect with Him through the words in a song

Blessed Be Your Name is one of my favorite worship songs. Here are the lyrics to the song. I think that each time I hear/sing this song I am moved closer to God. It causes me to connect to God and appreciate Him so much. I have several songs which I like and draw me closer to Him. You may have a number of songs that move you closer to God. If you are like me, it is fun to hear the songs that you really like and has a deep meaning.

We have the privilege to be able to connect with Him on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be limited to times you are in your church building. It also doesn't have to be limited to songs, but in this lesson we will focus on the medium of song.

Sunday, we looked at Psalm 147 as we began our "Awakening" series. This was fun to reflect on as we think about how we can become closer to God through song and other means. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week...

  • Focus ~ It can be easy to not have focus. We tend to focus on what our eyes see and when we are seeing something else we can lose focus. When it comes to connecting and worshiping God, may we take time to focus beforehand. Focus allows you to concentrate a bit more. If distractions come your way then you may need to consciously put more into the effort of trying to focus. So start to focus and plan where you're going as you seek to connect.
  • Find a Good Song ~ Singing and/or songs seems to help us resonate with our worship to God. You see it used in the Bible as a method of worshiping God after a victory or during a life situation. Through songs there are multiple senses used and that seems to make a difference in our emotional connection. Find a great song or multiple songs and use them to connect with Him.
  • Praise Him ~ Think of all the great things to praise Him for in your life. There are many wonderful things when you think about it. From the minute to the grand. From the forgotten to the just received. May we take time to praise Him for the glorious things He's done in our lives!
I hope you can have some time in the next week to take time to find a way to connect to God. I am not simply talking about finding time to pray or finding time to listen to a song. I am talking about finding time to connect with Him. I hope you have a chance to worship Him on an individual basis. That time may be during a scheduled assembly time at a church, but I hope you have a chance to worship.

If you cannot accomplish it in the next week, keep it on your priority list and try to accomplish this connection at the first chance you get.

I love the opportunity to sing and connect to Him through song and meditation. May you be awakened when given the opportunity!

Now it's your turn...what song(s) do you like that draws you closer to God?

No comments: