Monday, July 14, 2008

Beyond 99.44% - I Peter 1:22c

How pure is your love...to your spouse, your family, your friends, or your church family? "Ninety-nine and forty-four percent pure love..." was the words of Ronnie Milsap as he sang the song "Pure Love" over twenty years ago. He is wanting to let the woman he loves to say that his love is very pure. What stops him from going on to 100%? How about the rest of us?

Yesterday, we looked at the first chapter of Peter's first letter and verse twenty-two, the last part. This part of the text says that our love for each other should be "pure". For me, this is a constant challenge to strive toward that goal. As we focus on this goal, let's look at some applications to choose from to use in our everyday life...
  1. None of us are perfect and imperfection means flaws. Saying this to say we may not be perfect, but our goal should be to become as close to perfection (at least in certain areas) as possible. May we pray that God will reveal our imperfections and show us how to love beyond 99.44%.
  2. We've all probably been told "You don't hate anyone". However, the reality is, the word basically means "love less". We've all felt that way toward someone. The phrase is an adage to help teach children a lesson, one that adults seldom practice. If you are feeling hurt, offended, criticized, etc., by someone, pray for that person - believe me it helps a lot!
  3. Love is not like clothing that is put on and taken off when we feel like it. It is something that should be "inside" and not on the "outside". Love is an action which comes from making a decision. A decision that says "No matter what, I want to keep our relationship out of Satan's reach so that he will not damage it in any way." Pray a prayer of maintenance so that when relationships are severed, you will have "prepared your mind for action" (I Peter 1:13) and be able work through it, completely.
One of the biggest lessons that I realized through this lesson was to ask myself, "What if Jesus were only to have died for 99.44% of my sins?" WOW! If that were the case, I'd be without hope! Praise God that Jesus died for 100% of my sins. As He is my example, I am challenged to extend that same percentage of love toward others!

Have a great week!

Aspiring to Always Extend Christlike Love...

No comments: