Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Helping Out With the Simplest of Things

The other day I was visiting one of our members at work, when a lady came in needing some assistance getting her gas cap off. He offered to help her in a second, when he was free, but standing around not doing anything at the time, I volunteered to help. We walked outside and I tried to turn the cap and it wouldn’t turn any more. So, I thought I would give it a tug, and it came right off. I noticed that she had the kind of gloves on that wouldn’t allow for much grip, so I don’t know if that prevented her from being able to pull it out or not. Regardless, the solution ended up being very simple.

This reminded me how easy it is to help someone in need. If we are willing to help anyone who comes our way, then, most likely, we will be given the opportunity. Sometimes it takes being-at-the-right-place-at-the-right-time to be able to help someone in need. I am a firm believer in connecting the dots. If she ever comes back in there she will have two good things to think about. First, the employee’s willingness to help her out, and two, someone who was there to help her out.

The “connect the dots” part is that both the employee and I go to church together. The seed of kindness has been planted. He can continue to water and nurture the planting. I don’t know if it will come in my lifetime that I will see the seed come to full growth, or if it will come from her spreading the news about how someone from that store helped her, which may send someone else there. Another person would be another dot on a branch off of that situation. And who knows what may come of that.

Help someone out by lending a hand, an ear, or your heart. You never know what God will do with even the simplest of things!

Appreciating all of you!

No comments: